A random assortment of funnies+news+ photos+family updates+even sad stuff that Diana Miller enjoys.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Solar Cooker!

So I bought this solar cooker about 20 years ago at the state fair from Solar Cookers International, based here in Sacramento. I think it is a great concept: they provide these "cookers" to people in Africa and other hot dry areas where they don't have stoves or fuel to cook on, and no trees left to cut down for cooking either. All you need is the solar cooker, a dark or black cooking pan, a big plastic bag that came with, like the one you put your turkey in at Thanksgiving. I had it out in the direct sun for about 6 hours when it was about 105 degrees outside. You can see the results below. Everything was very moist and tasty. Hey - we have all of this sunshine in Sacramento, might as well give it a try. The trick is, like crock pots, to get it ready early and let it cook all day.





I tried using my rice cooker to see if it would work. The results were so - so, plus the pot was not dark enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us some love and leave a comment!